Thanks to the support of Jansen Photo Expeditions, we are thrilled to offer a new series of educational workshops in our parks!
Take your camera off of the green (automatic) mode. Learn how to take better photos. Learn how to plan ahead, so that you can be in the right place at the right time.
The workshops will help students translate creativity into good photographs. Basic and advanced photographic theory will be conducted showing the use of digital SLR camera equipment in the field as related to landscape, nature and wildlife photography. All classes will be conducted in the Channel Coast State Parks. Creative exposure techniques will be discussed as related to digital full size cameras with interchangeable lenses. Each workshop will be taught in easy to understand terms, and concepts. The students will gain more control over their landscape and nature photography skills and will come away with a more complete understanding of the digital photography process.
Workshops will be held at:
A portion of the workshop fee will be donated to support Friends of Channel Coast State Parks.
Scholarship opportunities are available for photography students 16 years and older. Please visit our scholarship page for more information.
All participants must sign the waiver of liability in order to participate.
Concepts included in the workshop:
- Composition: where objects should go in the frame and how to put them there.
- How to capture great scenics; foregrounds and background details.
- Wildlife and birding photography techniques.
- Also included will be information about shutter speed, aperture, ISO, resolution, auto focus, tripod usage and more…
Who should attend the photography workshops?
- Advanced Photographers that are visiting the area and want to explore the right locations at the right time, for the best light and features of a location in the Channel Coast parks.
- Beginning Photographers who would like to take better pictures and need help with their creativity and knowledge of their camera and photography.
- Students must be at least 16 years of age (minor children must have a release of liability from parents).
- Participants will need to provide their own equipment.
- Participants should be able to walk up to 2 miles through the course of the workshop. If you feel you cannot meet this requirement, please contact us and we may be able to make accommodations.
When you participate in a workshop led by the Jansens, you can expect the following:
- You will work in a hands-on environment, one-on-one, with two photography professionals, in small groups.
- You will be escorted to unique and varied locations quickly for the best light and amazing natural features.
- You will learn techniques for handling your equipment in quickly changing environments.
- You will enjoy interaction and comradery with like minded creatives.
- You will leave our workshops with a stronger sense of your own photographic style and direction.
For more information about the following, please visit the Jansen photo expeditions website using the links below.
- Mark Jansen and Holly Higbee-Jansen
- What to Expect
- McGrath State Beach Birding
- Carpinteria State Beach
- El Capitan State Beach