Celebrate Earth Day 2013 with Us! : Updated March 15, 2013
EVENT MOVED TO SAN BUENAVENTURA STATE BEACH, SAME DATE AND TIME!
Ventura County Supervisors John Zaragoza and Steve Bennett, Southern California Gas Company (SoCalGas), Friends of Channel Coast State Parks, and California State Parks officials are planning a beautification and maintenance event Saturday, April 13, 2013 at
McGrath San Buenaventura State Beach. The event will start at 9:00 a.m. and conclude at 3:00 p.m.
McGrath State Beach is currently closed due to severe seasonal flooding, and is not a suitable location for our service day this year. So the volunteer service event has
been moved just up the coast, to San Buenaventura State Beach.
We will be working to beautify this popular Park’s areas to help get it ready for the busy summer season.
For historical background on this event, please see this article in the Ventura County Star
- Check-in will start at 8:30 am.
- We will have fresh coffee donated by Starbucks available in the morning. To reduce waste, please feel free to bring your own reusable coffee mug if you would like.
- Water will be provided throughout the day as well, but feel free to bring your own reusable water bottle if you would like.
- Please wear layers, a hat, and sunscreen.
- Please bring your own work gloves and gardening tools, if you are able to. Please make sure any personal items you bring are clearly labeled.
- We will break for lunch around 12:30. So far, we have lunch being donated by Jersey Mike’s. We are currently working on securing more donations. (If you have contacts in the community that might be able to help us feed our volunteers, please help us out by making an introduction for us!)
- After lunch, volunteers are welcome to call it a day or keep working for a couple more hours. We extended the service day into the afternoon this year because we had several volunteers express a desire to stay and work to finish half-completed projects last year.
All volunteers will receive a couple of gifts from us in thanks for your support of our event – an FCCSP reusable tote bag and a free day-use pass good at any of the parks in the Channel Coast district. Make sure to stop by our booth before you head home for the day to collect yours!
For more information on the planned San Buenaventura State Beach event, please contact the office of Ventura County Supervisor John C. Zaragoza at (805) 654- 2613 or John.Zaragoza@ventura.org, or Melissa Baffa of Friends of Channel Coast State Parks at (805) 626-0156. To register as a volunteer for the event, you can phone Baffa, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org , or use the form below to register to volunteer!
IMPORTANT: If you are under 18, please download the volunteer waiver form and be sure to have a parent or guardian sign it, and bring it with you on the day of the event.
We would like to thank our wonderful donors for their generosity: Starbucks (at Seaward and Harbor) for donating fresh coffee for the morning, and Jersey Mike’s at Seabridge for donating lunch! We are so grateful for the support of these businesses! Please make sure to thank them the next time you visit them!